• Breaking News

    Messi won the best player award for the seventh time


    Argentina's forward Lionel Messi has been named the world's best footballer for a year, winning the men's Ballon d'Or for the record seventh time on Monday.

    Messi, who has been linked with Barcelona for years, won the award this year after joining the French football club Paris Saint-Germain.

    According to the AFP news agency, Lionel Messi ended the year well by winning his first major international trophy with Argentina.

    Alexia Putias, on the other hand, became the third player to win the Women's Ballon d'Or award for a great season with Barcelona and Spain.

    Messi, 34, won the Copa America for Argentina in July this year after losing in four major international finals.

    Speaking through a translator, Macy said at the ceremony: "I am very happy to be here. Be happy to continue the fight for new trophies. I don't know how many years I have left but hope for many more. I would like to thank my former teammates in Barcelona and Argentina.

    Messi surpassed Bayern Munich with 613 points and Polish striker Robert Lewandowski with 580 points.

    According to Messi: "I would like to say to Robert that it is an honor to be your opponent and everyone will say that it was your right to win this honor last year."

    The Ballon d'Or award, given by a French football magazine, has been given to male soccer players since 1956.

    On the women's side, Putias helped Barcelona win and scored 26 goals in 42 games.

    The midfielder won the Champions League final against Chelsea and was named UEFA Women's Player of the Year in August.

    At a function in Paris, he said through an interpreter: "I am getting very emotional. This is a very special moment. I would like to thank all my colleagues. Especially my current (Barcelona) teammates. It's a collective achievement for me. "

    Earlier, the Ballon d'Or was won only by women footballers from Norway and the United States.

    No comments